Meal Charge Policy

  • Unpaid meal charges are viewed by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) as bad debts.  Bad debts must be written off as operating losses; this particular operating loss may not be absorbed by the non-profit school food service account (NSFSA), but must be restored using non-Federal funds.  Due to Marshall County School System sponsoring the USDA Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), one reimbursable meal for breakfast and lunch will be available at no cost to all enrolled students in our district each day.  However, students will NOT be allowed to charge for second meals or a la carte items.  Adults and employees will also NOT be allowed to charge meals and/or a la carte items through the Child Nutrition Program.  Therefore, no charges should occur within the Child Nutrition Program.



    In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation*), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

    Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

    To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

    1. mail:
      U.S. Department of Agriculture
      Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
      1400 Independence Avenue, SW
      Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or
    2. fax:
      (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
    3. email:


    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

    *This language was added pursuant to the May 5, 2022, USDA memorandum.  However, the inclusion and aplicability of this language is currently under challenge int he matter of The State of Tennessee, et al. v. UDA, et al., Casey No. 3:22-cv-00257, and may be subject to change.

    Comments (-1)